Just about all women have it, and whether genetics has blessed you with a little more than you’d like, cellulite is just one of those things we have to embrace. What causes that dimply, cottage cheese looking flesh? When fat cells push up against our skin and the fibrous tissue that connects our skin to our muscle pulls down, we’re left with that signature bumpy skin.
Dieting alone won’t eliminate cellulite because cellulite is essentially fat and needs to be eliminated by exercise from your entire body before you can tone the muscle. Exercise is essential to burning fat, and therefore losing cellulite. Here are 5 exercises aimed at tightening the thighs, saddlebags and glutes, effectively getting rid of the prominent appearance of cellulite.
Lunges will target your glutes and fronts of thighs where cellulite lives.
- Start with feet hip-width apart and arms on your hips.
- Lunge forward with your left foot, bending the knee at a 90 degree angle and dropping the right knee down until it almost touches the ground.
- Be sure to step the left foot out far enough to prevent your knee from extending over the toe.
- Raise yourself back up and repeat with your right foot.
2. Plié Squats
Squats target your glutes, hamstrings, quads and inner and outer thighs, exactly where cellulite tends to hang out. There are many different variations of squats, but the plié squats are our favorite.
- Assume a wide stance with your legs two to three feet apart, toes turned out. Place your hands on your hips.
- Push your hips back and lower your body until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Hold for a few seconds, and then slowly push yourself back to the starting position. That’s one rep.
- Repeat for 10 reps.
3. Plié Squat Into Side Kick
Take your squat to the next level! You’ll feel this in your glutes, quads and hamstrings.
- Stand with your feet a little wider than hip-width apart and turn your toes out. Lower into a squat, placing your hands on your hips.
- Lower into a squat, placing your hands on your hips.
- Stand up, shifting the weight into your left leg, and lift your right leg off the floor. Kick your right leg out to the side, trying to get it parallel to the floor.
- Bring your leg back in and down, returning to the squat position. That’s one rep. Do as many as you can in 30 seconds, then repeat with your left leg for 30 seconds.
4. Fire Hydrant
You will practically feel the cellulite dripping off with this killer move in your glutes, hips and thighs.
- Start on all fours with a flat back, and keep the abs pulled in tight (belly button to spine).
- Lift left knee up and out until it is the same level as your hip, keeping knee bent and foot flexed.
- Lower to start position. That’s one rep.
- Perform this move for 30 seconds on each leg.
5. Weighted Donkey Kick
This move requires intense concentration and muscle control, but you’ll be kissing that cellulite goodbye.
- Come to all fours and slide a dumbbell into the crease behind your knee. Bend the leg to squeeze it into place. Flex the foot.
- Exhale and press the bent leg up like your stamping your foot on the ceiling. Try to get the thigh parallel with the floor. Do this lift without shifting your weight into one side. Keep the hips square to the floor and let the back arch a little. Bring the knee back down, but don’t rest! Send back up for another rep!